In an interview with Oprah on "Oprah Prime", Kevin Hart contests the perception that his success came out of nowhere and that he just “got lucky”. He’s been working at it for 18 years! And by staying true to his dream and putting in the time and hard work, his dream came true. Your dreams can come true, too. The problem is that few of us are willing to put in the time (like 18 years for Kevin Hart) to accomplish those dreams. We love this video because we think it is exciting and inspirational to know that accomplishing goals is within our control! We just have to be willing to take the time and put in the effort, through good times and, more importantly, through struggles and failures.
- Write down your dream on a piece of paper (for Kevin Hart, become a star comedian and actor).
- Write down 3-5 things you would need to do consistently to get there (for Kevin Hart, practice standup routine 10x per week, watch 3 hours of other comedian standup routines per week, etc.).
- Write down the milestones you would accomplish along the way (for Kevin Hart, perform a standup in primetime, act in a small film, move to LA, land a big standup show, star in a TV show or movie, etc.).
- Write down the obstacles you would encounter (for Kevin Hart, not making money for a while, not achieving immediate success, feeling lazy/not wanting to practice, not having immediate connections etc.).
- Now, write down how you would overcome each of them (for Kevin Hart, get a second job, remind myself of the time it takes to become 220, remind myself of my ultimate goal and why it is so important to me, aggressively reach out to people I meet at comedy clubs and other events, etc.).