I read this quote the other night in Tony Robbins' book Money: Master The Game- 7 Steps to Financial Freedom. The book is amazing and this chapter about eliminating your limiting perceptions kept me awake for awhile because of how true and impactful it is.
Tony goes on to talk about how in order to make this significant progress in our lives, we have to be honest with ourselves about our unconscious fears. I started to reflect on what my unconscious fears were, and it was extremely powerful to think about what these fears, when unidentified and prioritized ahead of our goals, can do to our performance in school, in extracurriculars, in the professional world, and in our relationships.
So how can you identify your unconscious fears? Follow the steps below to get you started. Write these down on paper, in your phone, or on your computer.
- What is the most important goal in your life right now?
- What external circumstances are holding you back from achieving that goal? (other people, your current financial situation, your background, etc.)
- What other obstacles will you have to face in order to accomplish those goals?
- Now, it's time to take a hard look inside ourselves. How are we holding ourselves back from achieving this goal? What are our own limiting perceptions & beliefs? What are our unconscious fears? Is it a fear of failure? Fear of success? Lack of commitment? What excuses have you made for why this hasn't/can't happen yet?
- Let's ask ourselves: If we could overcome our limiting perceptions, limiting beliefs, and unconscious fears, are our answers in #3 & #4 really holding us back? Or are we letting those hold us back?
- If we could overcome our limiting perceptions, limiting beliefs, and unconscious fears, what could we accomplish?
What did you think of this post? Which unconscious fears did you identify? Let us know in the comments!
Want to read another post about taking ownership of our outcomes? Check out our post on how ownership can change your life!